New model Work Health & Safety (WHS) laws are due to commence in Australia on 1 January, 2012.
CompliSpace recently published a plain English Briefing Paper for Directors & Officers as well as a free online WHS Risk Self-Assessment Survey. The survey can be completed in about 5-10 minutes and gives the respondent an instant risk profile for their business.
The following 10 Steps to help you prepare for the new WHS laws have been extracted from the briefing paper.
10 Steps to Help You Prepare for the WHS Laws Commencing 1 January 2012
- Ensure each of your directors and officers are briefed as to the core elements of the new WHS laws well prior to their commencement on 1 January 2012.
- Conduct a gap analysis of your organisation’s current workplace safety program identifying areas, such as consultation, which will need to be revised from 1 January 2012.
- Ensure that your organisation’s hazard risk register has been maintained up to date and records all reasonably foreseeable safety hazards.
- Ensure that for each safety hazard that has been identified your organisation has an appropriate safety policy or treatment plan in place.
- Amend your current workplace safety program before 1 January 2012 to ensure that it is compliant with the new laws.
- Conduct training sessions for your directors, officers and managers ensuring that they understand key concepts such as the “PCBU”, “reasonably practicable, “consultation” and “due diligence”.
- Ensure that your organisation has maintained up to date records of workplace safety inspections, names of Health and Safety Representatives and Health and Safety Committee members, injuries and incidents, as well as staff training.
- Implement a system of regular workplace safety reviews if your organisation has not done so before.
- Establish an internal assurance program that allows your organisation to effectively monitor the overall effectiveness of its workplace safety program.
- Ensure that workplace safety matters are considered as a regular agenda item in management and board meetings.
How Can CompliSpace Help?
At CompliSpace we have long recognised the difficulties that organisations have in establishing and maintaining up to date policies and procedures in a wide range of areas that are heavily reliant on legal interpretation, including workplace safety and human resources.
For many years now, we have been providing our clients with high quality online workplace safety and human resources programs which are designed to be rapidly tailored to the specifications of individual organisations. These programs come with online training and testing programs to ensure that core policies are effectively communicated to front line staff and appropriate records are maintained.
A key feature of our service is that we maintain the relevant content up-to-date with key legal and regulatory changes thus allowing our clients to focus on their core business. We also provide assurance software through which the undertaking of key safety obligations (e.g. staff training, workplace safety inspections, reporting of injuries and incidents) are verified by line managers, to provide directors and officers with the transparency and visibility they require under the new legislation.
Our clients range from top 100 ASX listed entities, through to not-for-profits and small private companies, in a wide range of industries, including financial services, mining and exploration, education, professional services, community services and wholesale distribution.
If you would like to know more about our services, or if you have any questions please feel free to contact us:
Sydney: T: +61 2 9299 6105
Perth: T: +61 8 9288 1826